Translated byHilary Keyes
Writer, translator, designer, weirdo.
Participants in this premium event can enjoy delicious tempura made with the freshest seasonal ingredients as they share conversations and marvel over the skill of the chefs at the counter seats in this famous tempura restaurant in Ginza.
Enjoying gourmet foods unique to the country you're visiting is one of the real pleasures of traveling abroad. Many tourists visiting Japan also come hoping to enjoy different Japanese dishes, such as tempura and sushi.
However, finding the best and most delicious restaurants in an unfamiliar country is not an easy task. Even if you find a reputable shop, you might not be able to speak Japanese, and therefore won't be able to ask about the ingredients, the history of the dish, or anything else you might care to know about the cuisine itself.
In that case, we recommend going to a restaurant with an interpreter and communicating directly with the chef of a famous restaurant. In this article, we will introduce an exclusive premium chef’s table event being held at a famous tempura restaurant in Ginza.
Tempura is one of the representative foods of Japan and is a dish where different seasonal ingredients are coated in a light flour-based batter, then fried. In recent years, tempura has been recognized as being one of the Three Flavors of Edo, with sushi and soba, and is viewed as being of the representative dishes of this time period.
Tempura is a dish that can be found gracing almost any menu, from very moderately priced shops to luxurious expensive restaurants. Depending on which region of Japan you visit, the ingredients, cooking technique, even the manner in which the tempura is eaten will differ. When visiting Japan, tempura is a dish that you simply have to try.
See Tempura - How To Enjoy One of Japan's Most Popular Dishes to learn more about this delicious dish.
This event will take place in Ginza, a center of culture and commerce in Tokyo, also known for its gourmet scene and shopping and quite well-known to international visitors. Doesn't it sound like the perfect place to try premium tempura from a specialty restaurant?
By using seasonal ingredients, the highly skilled chefs of this restaurant prepare delectable tempura right before your eyes, creating dishes that many Japanese people have not even had the chance to taste before. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to enjoy stunning and unique tempura for yourself.
Not only that, but participants in this event will be seated at the limited counter space and be able to listen to explanations on the technique, history, and feelings on the ingredients by the master chef himself.
It's not just a chance to eat delicious tempura. By reserving the usually difficult to secure counter space, it is possible to watch and enjoy signature tempura dishes made by these master chefs. By learning about the history of tempura, and hearing the chef discuss its finer points, participants might even find that the already scrumptious tempura becomes even more delicious!
The information for this event is as follows:
Date and Time: April 12th, 2017 1:30 PM - 3:00 PM (Japanese time)
Location: Tempura Kondo (Ginza, Tokyo)
Participation Fee: 20,000 yen (per person, in Japanese yen)
Maximum Number of Participants: the first 10 to register (for ages 12 and over)
1. Special tempura course meal, including event limited original tempura (counter reserved seats).
2. Commentary and discussion with the master chef (on technique, history, ingredients, thoughts on Japanese food, and so on).
Languages: Interpretation services will be provided.
Tempura Kondo, the location of this event, is a restaurant specialized in tempura that stands at the forefront of this cuisine in Ginza, the gastronomic center of Japanese food.
The shop owner and head chef, Mr. Kondo, has continued to provide tempura that is a true fusion of tradition and innovation for the past 50 years.
"Tempura is a versatile dish and we should discard the way of thinking that says it should be in a certain way", says Mr. Kondo, who is a leader in the innovation and spread of tempura cuisine.
The most common forms of tempura feature selected types of fish and seasonal vegetables, but it is important to think of it as being more than a fried dish; rather it should be considered similar to a steamed dish, wherein the heat and water are used to bring out and enhance the umami of the ingredients.
The flavors and techniques used to produce tempura have evolved to become a fine art, which is well-known in Japan to those in Japan, and these peerless dishes are now slowly drawing foodies from around the world to this amazing tempura specialty restaurant as well. Wouldn't you like to try a dish that cannot be found anywhere else in the world?
Japan Premium Event Desk
Phone Number: +81-3-6743-1596 ** For a fee, the call can be accepted in English, Chinese, and Thai
** This is an international call and will be charged accordingly by your provider. Please be aware of this point.
Reception Hours: Weekdays 10:00 am - 5:30 pm (Japanese time) ** Calls on March 20th, Saturdays and Sundays not available.
- Applications are limited to 2 persons (ages 12 and up) for the tempura event.
- Payment must be made by the main applicant via credit card at the time of application (Accepted cards are JCB, VISA, MasterCard or via Paypal).
- Application confirmation documents, etc. will be sent to the representative's email address from 'Japan Premium Event Application Reception' within 1 week after application. Also, the final confirmation and guidance email will be sent from this address to the representative's email address 10 days before the event is to take place.
- Event Planning Company: J&J Group (JTB & JCB Group)
- Applications will be accepted on a first come first serve basis. Please be advised that it may be full at the time of your application.
- A cancellation fee in the full amount of your application will be incurred from the time of application.
- The price of this event is for the event itself only and does not include airfare, travel in Japan, accommodation costs, or any other fees.
- During the event, there is a chance that you may be interviewed. Please inform us at the time if your interview or photo may not be published.
- Interpreters will be provided at the event.
- The event will be held rain or shine.
- If you or anyone in your application has any food allergies, please state them clearly in your application.
- Those that participate in the event will be asked to fill out a questionnaire.
- Program contents may be subject to change. In this case, applicants will be contacted in advance by the above-mentioned email address.
Sponsored by J&J Group